Start a Hangout conversation or video call
- Open Hangouts in Gmail
- In the bottom-left corner, click on the Hangouts icon .
- Select a person from the Hangouts list. The list is ordered with your most recent Hangout at the top. Or click the search button and type a name or email address. When you find the person you want, click their name.
- If you want to start a group Hangout, check the boxes in front of multiple people's names and click the chat icon to start a message or a video icon to start a video call.
- Choose the type of Hangout you want to start:
- Text conversation: Type the message you want to send in the text box that says “Send a message” and press the return key on your keyboard to send the message. The typing indicator will show other people in the Hangout that you’re typing a message.
- Video call: Click the video icon to start a video call.